Monday, April 18, 2011

Mrs. Neal's Top Ten Middle Grade Books


Mrs. Neal’s Top 10 Middle Grade Books
 
10. Spilling Ink by Ellen Potter and Anne Mazer
Genre:  Non-fiction
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves to  write fictional stories. It even helped me with the book I’m writing.


9. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit
Genre: Fantasy/Historical Fiction
*sigh* This is one of my FAVORITE read alouds! This book is such a magical story and written beautifully.



8. Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Genre: Realistic Fiction
I heard about this book last year, but didn’t get my hands on it until a couple of months ago. The writing in this book is beyond astounding. The way she melds her words together, sounds like music, it has such a rhythm. Melody’s story is a sweet, yet eye opening one.






7. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Genre: Mystery
This was such a fun and interesting read that kept me on my toes the entire time trying to figure out WHAT in the world was going on. The fact that the book ties in with one of my other very favorite books, A Wrinkle in Time, doesn’t hurt it either.

 







6. Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
Genre: Fantasy
Suzanne Collins is one of my favorite authors. She is capable of creating a fantastical world that I could actually imagine being a part of. Gregor the Overlander is an amazing book that kept me turning the pages furiously.




5. Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt
Genre: Historical Fiction
There is this pitiful misconception that historical fictions are boring and not a lot of fun. This book totally and completely breaks that stigma. Holling Hoodhood is a hilarious character that you can’t not like, and his teacher, Mrs. Baker, would be your worst nightmare as a student, but my hero as a teacher.



4. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Genre: Science Fiction
It is hard to put into words how much I adore this book. It is a strange, crazy world full of time traveling and an enormous evil brain. What’s not to like about that?? I know I’m a bit of an eccentric reader, but I can’t understand why more kids don’t fall in love with reading because of this book.



3. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Genre: Historical Fiction
*sniff, sniff* This book has such an amazing story, doubled with incredible writing. The author lived in the Ozarks where the story takes place, so his descriptions are so detailed, you can picture it in your mind easily. It is a longer book and at times hard to get through, but the ending is a beautifully tragic one that makes me cry. Every. Single. Time.




2. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
Genre: Fantasy
I adore this book. This book and its characters evoked more feelings out of me than any other book I’ve ever read. And that says a lot. Reading it is an emotional rollercoaster, but in the end, the theme of the story is what left me in awe of the author.  



1.  The Giver by Lois Lowry
Genre: Science Fiction
I read this book when I was younger and did not fully appreciate the book until I was in college and read it again. Even then, I didn’t get the full meaning out of the book until I read it when I was in my early twenties and teaching. The reason this book is number one on my list is because I could read this book a hundred more times and still find new meaning and understanding each time I read it. Lois Lowry set the standards for dystopian/utopian literature with this book and is the inspiration for why I write today.

2 comments:

  1. If you've read any of these books, leave a comment stating whether you agree with me or not and if any of these books would make your top ten list as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. where the red fern grows is an absolute favorite of mine!*sniff**sniff*.BOO HOO! SO SAD!

    ReplyDelete